Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM)
Specialist Supportive Clinical Management (SSCM) is an effective outpatient eating disorders treatment for anorexia nervosa, tested against evidence-based treatments like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Therapy (IPT). Unlike CBT and IPT, SSCM allows for greater flexibility in sessions to address broader life issues and client goals as well as eating disorder behaviours. Ongoing research has confirmed SSCM as a significant, viable treatment option for eating disorders.
The two aims of SSCM are to a) help clients make a link between their symptoms and their eating behaviour and weight, and, b) to support them in a gradual return to normal eating and weight restoration. To do this, SSCM combines two therapeutic components, clinical management and supportive psychotherapy. The clinical management aspect prioritises the establishment of normal eating and weight restoration, provides targeted psycho-education and advice about eating disorders, eating and weight/shape concerns. The supportive psychotherapy framework allows client and clinician to respond to other important life issues identified by the client, including those that may impact upon the eating disorder.
SSCM builds on the existing core skills and strengths of mental health clinicians of clinical management and supportive psychotherapy to equip general mental health clinicians to apply their core skills to working with clients experiencing eating disorders.
LEARNING OUTCOMES / TARGET AUDIENCE
The workshop aims to equip participants with the following:
- A working understanding of the SSCM model, key components and applications that supports immediate implementation of the intervention
- Skills and practice in delivering key SSCM interventions and processes, including
- Treatment set up
- Assessment, intervention and concluding phases
- Following a session structure and using clinical tools
- A framework for understanding and working with multidisciplinary roles in SSCM
Participants will have the opportunity to develop these skills through
- Active practice of SSCM interventions and techniques through demonstrations, case material and role plays
- Provision of handouts and resources for formulation, goal setting, session structure, providing psychoeducation and integrating goals with eating disorder behaviour change
- Practice in implementing the skill of using of handouts and delivering psychoeducation within an SSCM framework
- Pre-readings which equip the clinician to feel informed about the research basis for SSCM and which form an introduction to the content covered will be provided prior to the workshop
Target Audience: Area Mental Health Clinicians working with adults experiencing anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders. Some familiarity with eating disorder diagnosis, presentations and treatment needs is assumed.
VENUE & BOOKING
Venue: Dementia Australia
155 Oak St, PARKVILLE, VIC, 3052
Cost: Clinicians employed in Victorian public mental health services: $95.00
Other health professionals: $230.00
Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided
Registration link: https://www.trybooking.com/BGXZY **Please book early - Places are limited **
Registrations close: 5pm, Friday 22 May 2020
DOWNLOAD FLYER HERE