Dr. Pei-Yoong Lam, an Adolescent Medicine Physician in the Provincial Specialized Eating Disorders Program for Children and Adolescents at BC Children’s Hospital discusses the medical complications associated with eating disorders among children and adolescents. She answers the following questions:
- Why would a child or youth need to be admitted to hospital for an eating disorder?
- How is the body affected by starvation?
- What are some of the particular implications for females with eating disorders?
- How do eating disorders impact on bone health and height?
- How do you go about assessing where a child or youth “should be” in terms of height and weight when treating the eating disorder?
- What does physical recovery from an eating disorder look like?