This half-hour video module is aimed at health professionals and provides an introduction to recovery-focused psychological treatments for eating disorders. It does not provide training in how to deliver any particular evidence-based treatment modalities.
Learning outcomes include:
- Ability to conduct a strengths-based assessment with a person with an eating disorder;
- Ability to demonstrate an empathic understanding of the high levels of ambivalence and fear of change in people with eating disorders;
- Ability to engage parents, carers, partners and work collaboratively with them to support recovery;
- Ability to explain the range of education and support needs a person with an eating disorder and their support people may require;
- Knowledge of specific evidence-based psychological treatments;
- Ability to implement strategies to enhance motivation for change;
- Understanding of the risk of relapse, indications or relapse, and the importance of recovery support and strategies to prevent or manage relapse;
- Ability to demonstrate awareness of personal attitudes, values and beliefs and to manage any potential impact of these on work with a person with an eating disorder;
- Ability to utilise relevant tertiary services for professional training, case conferencing, supervision and referral.
By watching this video, you can claim half an hour of self-directed CPD with your professional college or association.
For more information about the content raised in these videos, please see this handout.
This video forms part of a suite of five video modules – check our eLearning section on this website for more or select from the list below: